(Version 1. 0, valid from 08 May 2012)
Without prejudice to compelling legal regulations and the provisions of the GTC, the PP govern the handling of data made available on ROCKETFEED by users, or which arise as a result of the use of ROCKETFEED. With registration and on each login to ROCKETFEED, the USER declares his express consent to the processing of his data according to the principles stated hereinafter.
1. ROCKETFEED offers the possibility to aggregate, organize, manage and optimize, among others, rss feeds, blogs, social network content etc. by organizing links, information, or any other material shared on third party websites into an easy to read portal-style format which might also, in the future, be accessed via API or mobile applications. It assists the USER in importing, collecting and publishing links, information or other material to social network services such as Twitter and Facebook and provides for various mashup and other services into existing user driven platforms (“SERVICES”).
2. The OPERATOR implements reasonable technical and organizational security measures in order to protect data from unintentional or malicious manipulation, loss, destruction or access by unauthorized persons. Passwords are stored in encrypted form, and the security measures are periodically examined and continually improved in line with technological developments. At ROCKETFEED, data is saved on servers in such a way that the OPERATOR can administer the process and access controls in line with the legal requirements. Although the data encryption at ROCKETFEED is in line with state-of-the-art technology, the USER is solely responsible for the transfer of the data over the internet, in particular when using mobile end equipment.
3. In order to be able to use the SERVICES, the OPERATOR captures the following data (and combinations thereof):
1. Personal data can be used to identify the USER, and to enable the core functions of ROCKETFEED. The OPERATOR will only capture personal data if it is provided by the user or, by means of the use of single-sign-on services (“SSO”) like «Facebook Connect» or «Sign in with Twitter», or by the use of connectors to social media networks, is indirectly retrieved via such services. By using a SSO-service or social media connector, the USER accepts the general terms and conditions of business and data protection provisions of such service provider. To the extent that this is legally permissible, the USER releases the OPERATOR from all liability and guarantee in this respect. Examples of personal data which the USER may place on ROCKETFEED as part of his profile and which ROCKETFEED may capture include name, address, nationality, date of birth, profile pictures, status, e-mail address, telephone number and contact details.
2. As stated in the GTC, the OPERATOR relies on the fact that the USER will only use ROCKETFEED with data aggregated from third-party sources if entitled to do so.
3. Demographical data may be accumulated through the use of ROCKETFEED relates not only to the USER, but to specific population characteristics, such as post code, age, preferences, gender, nationality, status, interests, etc.
4. Behavioural data is collected by the OPERATOR on how the USER uses ROCKETFEED, the areas of the website he visits, the services he selects and the details available from the browser of his computer hardware and software, including IP address, browser, operating system, domain names, access times and the addresses of websites referring to ROCKETFEED. This data is required to analyze the use of resources, to find and rectify errors, to fight misuse and to improve the services.
5. In addition, ROCKETFEED may collect indirect data on the USER (e.g. geographical analysis of IP addresses).
4. When registering, the USER’s first name, surname, e-mail address and a password will be recorded, and the e-mail address will be verified. The data recorded in the profile will not be able to be called up individually by third parties, and will only be used subject to the provisions of the PP. By activating the relevant function in his profile, the USER accepts the sending of e-mail notifications at the intervals defined and the periodic sending of information on new services from the OPERATOR. The type and intervals of e-mail notifications may be changed at any time.
5. The OPERATOR aggregates various data generated by USERS in a database and employs the aggregated content to support, facilitate and suggest feeds, according to certain criteria, to other USERS or to any third party (“SYSTEM DATA”). It is not possible, however, to deduce from externally employed SYSTEM DATA the identity and the preference of a USER. Furthermore, the OPERATOR might temporarily store (cache) certain third-party data in order to provide for an improved user experience.
6. In order to facilitate the user experience, particularly the mashup with social media networks or other third party services, ROCKETFEED employs embedded code snippets (widgets, codelets, iFrames etc.) and other technical means which might relay certain static and behavioral data of the USER (visited web pages, references etc.) to third-party web servers without the OPERATOR’s control or involvement.
7. Currently the use of ROCKETFEED is free of charge and supported by commercial advertisement which might be targeted to the USER based on data collected by ROCKETFEED or by third-party-services. However, the OPERATOR reserves the right to introduce subscription fees for any kind of user account category. If a future subscription fee is paid by credit card or other form of payment, the payment is made via a link to the website of the financial service provider in question. The OPERATOR does not become aware of or save any payment data, but is notified by the financial services provider of the payment status, so that the ROCKETFEED services requested by the USER can be activated. By choosing a payment form, the USER accepts any general terms and conditions of business and data protection provisions of the financial services provider in question and, to the extent that this is legally permissible, releases the OPERATOR from all liability and guarantee.
8. The USER has the option of saving certain data (rss-feeds, blog-URLs as well as tags, categories attributed to such data etc.) in his profile. The saving of objects with improper, indecent or prohibited content, or objects contaminated with computer viruses, trojans etc., is forbidden. The OPERATOR expressly reserves the right, if information is received of a breach of this provision, to inspect the objects saved on ROCKETFEED, to delete them without warning, or to block the user accounts in question. The OPERATOR expressly draws attention to the fact that the USER himself is responsible for ensuring reasonable protection of his computer systems against viruses, trojans, etc.
9. The records contributed by the USER to the SYSTEM DATA are not removed if the user account and/or the user data is deleted. The USER declares his express agreement to the continued use of such data even after the deletion of his user account and/or his user data.
10. The OPERATOR uses the data collected on ROCKETFEED in order to provide the SERVICES, to respond to enquiries from USERS and to operate and improve the website. By registering with ROCKETFEED, the USER agrees to the OPERATOR using his data:
1. to enable him to set up an account;
2. to enable him to draw up profiles and to deliver commercial advertisement to him;
3. to inform him of updates to ROCKETFEED, to send him information and service-related notifications, including important security updates;
4. to send him additional notifications and information and to inform him of offers and future services;
5. to put him in a position to give the OPERATOR feedback, to contact the OPERATOR and allow the OPERATOR to respond to him;
6. to provide and continually improve the SYSTEM DATA;
7. to carry out surveys, questionnaires, campaigns and competitions and present the results, such as success stories and competition winners;
8. to be able to compile internal reports on the use of ROCKETFEED; and
9. to use combined, anonymised statistical data from ROCKETFEED for academic, marketing and publicity purposes.
11. With the exception of SYSTEM DATA, the USER has the opportunity at any time to delete, overwrite or deactivate data which he has actively entered. The USER is aware that data which is deleted in the database is still present on backups. For technical reasons, certain data remains saved on the database, but is marked as deleted. Subject to authentication in accordance with section 17 below, the USER is free, insofar as technically feasible, to request the deletion or, where technically impossible, the anonymization of his data.
13. When accessing ROCKETFEED, the general access data is saved in a log file which contains, among other data: IP address, date and time of access, user ID used, files called up, access status (OK, partial content, document not found, etc.), websites referred to, web browser used, operating system used. The OPERATOR uses this data for statistical and technical analyses and in anonymised form, for example to optimize the server infrastructure or to determine what days are particularly busy in terms of access, in order to be able to draw conclusions on possible improvements to the user interface and functionalities. No personal analyses of this data are undertaken.
14. Apart from cooperation with suppliers and other third parties who are contractually obliged to preserve confidentiality, the OPERATOR only allows third party access to USER data if legally obliged to do so, or if obliged on the basis of an official order, as it sees fit following a request from an official body or if it believes in all good faith that this is necessary in order to: (1) comply with legal regulations or legal proceedings; (2) protect its rights or property; (3) expose or prevent an offence or a crime; or (4) protect the personal safety of USERS or the general public. On the basis of a typical commercial confidentiality agreement, the OPERATOR is also entitled to allow reasonable inspection of the ROCKETFEED database to third parties who wish to acquire part or all of the business of ROCKETFEED in any form whatsoever. If the OPERATOR is subject to insolvency proceedings, it or its liquidator, administrator or receiver may sell, license or otherwise dispose of the ROCKETFEED database in the course of a legal transaction authorized by a competent authority. Where appropriate, the USER will be informed by e-mail or by means of a notification on ROCKETFEED of any substantial changes in the ownership of ROCKETFEED.
15. The OPERATOR will never ask the USER by e-mail for his login data, in particular his password. In the case of support or other enquiries, the OPERATOR is entitled to use appropriate identification and authentication methods, suitable for the enquiry in question, to verify as far as possible whether the enquirer is entitled to be given information concerning the account and related data.
16. In order to ensure reliable data protection and maximum possible data security, ROCKETFEED data is stored and processed in a data center in Germany but might be mirrored and transferred abroad. Express reference to section 7. 2 of the GTC is made in this context.
17. A USER is entitled at any time to request information from the ROCKETFEED Data Protection Officer in written or electronic form concerning the personal data held on him at ROCKETFEED. The request will be responded to as quickly as possible in the form deemed most appropriate by the OPERATOR. The request for information may be refused, limited or postponed if necessary to comply with legal regulations or if the OPERATOR's interests or those of a third party take precedence.
18. Requests for information or any other queries to the ROCKETFEED data protection officer should be directed to:
attn. ROCKETFEED Data Protection Officer
14. 05. 2012 / v1